Preparing for a family ski trip? Packing for a family vacation can be a daunting task at the best of times. Add in freezing conditions along with kids who will get soggy and wet – no matter how stable you think they are on their feet – winter travel certainly throws up far more challenges than your average family trip!
We’re sharing with you here a family packing list idea for a winter vacation to the mountains. Whether you’ll actually be hitting the slopes or not, these are the wintery essentials that must be packed.
This post is part of our family packing list collection
1. Ski & Snowboarding Clothing
Even if your kids will only be playing in the snow park or taking on the magic carpet, as soon as you hit the snow you’ll want these essential clothing items to keep everyone warm and dry:
- Waterproof Ski Jacket
- Waterproof Ski Pants/Ski Bib
- Under Layers (for additional insulation)
- Base Layer Tops
- Base Layer Bottoms
- Snood/Neck Warmer
- Thick Winter Socks
2. Ski And Snowboarding Gear
If you will be bringing your own gear you’ll want to pack these essentials, though don’t panic! All of these items would be available to hire from top ski resorts if you don’t have your own (an expensive investment for kids who will almost certainly have outgrow things by next season!).
- Skis and poles or snowboard with bindings
- Ski boots/Snowboard boots
3. Off the Slopes – Non-Ski Clothing
When you’re out of your wet gear and at your lodgings, you’ll want comfort and dry clothing to change into – and don’t forget outer layers for walking to dinner, for example.
- Comfy after ski pants and tops
- Warm Jacket
- Warm Hat
- Gloves/Mittens (a dry set separate from ski gear)
- Warm Waterproof shoes
- Warm Socks
- Warm Tops
- Swimsuit (think jacuzzi!)
4. Toiletries & Hygiene
Basics that you will need on any family vacation.
- Sunscreen (yes, even in winter!)
- Lip balm
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Shaving Products
- Contacts/Glasses, Contact Solution
- Body Lotion (for dry skin)
- Nail Clippers
5. Especially for babies/toddlers/kids
You may not need to bring all of these items if they can be provided by your accommodation, but all worth considering depending on your child’s age and stage:
- Diaper Bag
- Diaper Changing Kit
- Portable High Chair
- Portable Bottle Warmer
- Potable Monitor
- Travel Toys
6. And the Rest
Regardless of what sort of trip you’re taking with the family, you’re likely to need these essential items:
- Passports/ID card
- Lift Tickets/Passes
- Chargers for all devices
- Converter plugs
- First Aid Kit
- Water Bottles
- Protein Snacks
- Toe and Hand Warmers
- Travel pack of tissues
We hope this packing list is a great start to preparing for a winter vacation in the snow. If you need some inspiration on where to head with kids, try these fabulous family ski resorts in Europe, or our selection of the best winter destinations in the USA.
Need more family packing advice?
We know just how challenging the packing aspect can be for a family vacation – especially when you have very little ones in tow!
Sign up to be a subscriber of Our Globetrotters and you’ll instantly get access to our complete library of family packing lists to download for your next family trip – anywhere in the world!
You can also dig deeper into our blog where we share in much more detail:
- 45 Family Road Trip Essentials
- Hiking with Kids Checklist
- Ultimate Desert & Beach Camping Checklist
- Complete Family Beach Packing List
- Kids Packing List – let them test their DIY packing skills!
- A Packing List for Tweens & Teens to learn independence
© Our Globetrotters | Feature images CanvaPro