Best Baby Travel Advice
If there’s one thing we know best here at Our Globetrotters, it’s the ins and outs of travelling with babies!
I know leaving the house with an infant can feel daunting in those first few months, let alone a night away – or the prospect of flying halfway around the world!
Preparing for baby travel can be incredibly stressful, and I bet you have a load of questions you might be embarrassed to ask.
Let us guide you through your baby travel journey step by step and give you the confidence that YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH YOUR KIDS – AND ENJOY IT!
GRAB YOUR BABY TRAVEL CHECKLIST HERE
Flying with a Baby
One of the most daunting aspects of travel can be getting on a plane with your bundle of joy. Air travel can do unpredictable things to babies making it a nerve-racking experience that you might be ‘those parents’ with the screaming infant.
Fear not; we have a lot of your flying with baby questions answered here:
- Everything you need to know flying with a baby – includes what you should bring on board, how to move about the airport and ideas for keeping your baby entertained on board.
- Flying with two (or more) kids – the rules explained and strategies to cope when you’re outnumbered!
- The Ultimate Guide to Airline Baby Bassinets – a must-read before tackling a long-haul flight; how to book the coveted infant seat and a by airline guide on sizes.
- 15 practical ways to conquer jet lag – an ultra-practical guide to help all the family cope with the effects of long-haul travel and recover faster
- Most entertaining airplane toys for a baby – here’s what we pack to keep our babies entertained on board
RELATED READING: For more general flying advice with all age groups, including our review of baby facilities & extra luggage allowances, make sure you check out our FLYING WITH KIDS homepage.
Baby Packing & Travel Gear
One of the major off-putting factors of going anywhere with a baby is the amount of gear you need to bring with you! From stroller travel systems to infant car seats, what do you really need?
Helping you with some of those critical packing decisions, we have several product reviews and round-ups for baby travel products you may find helpful;
- 10 baby travel essentials – includes a printable baby travel packing list
- Portable breast pumps- perfect for when you’re away from home
- Fly Babyee Sleep Cover – for air travel with an infant & sun protection
- Selecting the perfect stroller for family travel – includes whether you should invest in baby travel system strollers (and why you will definitely end up owning more than one!)
- Best lightweight double strollers – expecting twins? You will want to invest in one of these for frequent travel
- Best compact baby strollers that fit on a plane, and our detailed review of the ultralight, ultra-compact Mountain Buggy Nano – yes, it really does fit in the overhead locker!
For Outdoor Adventures With Baby
- What to bring for baby’s first trip to the beach – sun essentials, safety gear, and more!
- Packing for baby’s first hiking trip – from hiking carriers to essentials mom will need too!
- Essentials gear you will need camping with a baby – yes, you can still go camping once baby comes along!
- Best water slings and carriers – making life easier on beach and pool trips with your baby
- The best pop-up beach tents for babies – keeping your little one protected out in the sun
- The best type of reusable swim diapers for baby – carrying for the environment and your baby’s tushie!
- Our favourite wetsuits and rashguards – perfect for babies and toddlers at the beach
- The best baby beds for camping – how to ensure everyone still gets a good night’s sleep!
Still not sure what to pack?
All readers who sign up to join the Globetrotters online community can download our Family Travel Checklist and specialised Baby Travel Checklist.
Please sign up here to grab these essential giveaways and join our mailing list.
General Baby Travel Advice
Keep diving through our archives! We also have these detailed guides that may help nervous first-time travellers with a baby
- 5 important things to know before travelling with a newborn – and the new post-natal you, things you may not have thought of for baby and your won self-care.
- 5 steps to baby-proofing your hotel room – keeping your tot safe in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Complete guide to travelling with an infant car seat – how to take your car seat on a plane and what to do with your car seat in transit
- Travelling with a breastfeed baby and pumping on-the-go – essential tips to keep up your milk supply and good habits even when you’re away from home.
- Everything you need to know about travelling with baby bottles – from keeping formula to boiling water when you’re abroad.
- 10 Essentials tips for planning a road tripping with a baby – be prepared for all eventualities on a family road trip with a baby!
- Family Travel Health (includes advice around immunisations and the latest news on Zika Virus)
RELATED READING: Past the baby stage – come on over to our TODDLER advice section – now the fun & games really begin!
Not yet had your first baby? Pregnancy Travel Advice
No worries, here at Our Globetrotters, we’re looking out for expectant mothers too. See our posts covering:
- Travelling while Pregnant
- 5 tips for flying while pregnant
- 5 tips to prevent babymoon disaster
- Zika Virus: Information for pregnant travellers
Are there any burning baby travel questions we haven’t covered on here? We’d love to help you through every step of the way, so do drop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll either send a personal response or answer your query in a new post.
© Our Globetrotters