Transiting with kids made easier with ride-on kids’ luggage
Navigating airports, train stations, hiring a car, and any other area where you’re traveling with children and luggage in tow can be stressful, even when everything is going reasonably well. Speaking from personal experience, this rarely happens because life is imperfect at the best of times.
I’ve learned several essential lessons from our family’s many traveling adventures together, and one of them is that for all their boundless energy, children do eventually get tired. Those little legs need a rest, and having luggage that doubles as a way to scoot around is one of the best inventions of mankind next to the actual wheel.
Kids’ ride-on luggage typically comes in a carry-on size that can be easily stowed underneath an airplane seat or in the overhead compartment. Most come with pull straps for when children get tired of pushing themselves, and a few even have fold-out mattresses to turn a plane seat into a bed for longer flights.
Whether you have toddlers or older children, this article will help you explore your options and find the best Kids’ ride-on luggage for your next short trip of extended family adventure.
Our Top Picks:
This post is part of our tried and tested kids travel gear series – from tots to tweens come and check out all our favourite gear
This page contains affiliate links to products that may earn us a commission if a qualifying purchase or booking is made.
Best Kids Ride On Luggage
All our favorite brands of ride on luggage for kids are summarized here, or read on for our detailed review of each and what specifics to look for in kids’ ride-on luggage.
|Luggage Name||Recommended For||Product Dimensions||Product Weight||Price
|Wagbaochang Kids Suitcase||2 to 12 years old||22" x 12" x 24"||8.82 lbs||$$$ - check here|
|Jetkids by Stokke Kids Suitcase and Portable Bed||3 to 7 year olds||18" x 14" x 8"||8.18 lbs||$$$ - check here|
|ANIMOR Kids Travel partner Ride-On Suitcase||Bed 0 to 4 years (max 40kg/88lbs)|
Ride-On Case 3 to 8 years old (max 60kg/132lbs)
|20" x 8" x 18"||9.73 lbs||$$$ - check here|
|Trunki Original Kids Ride-On Suitcase||3+ years old||22" x 12" x 24"||8.82 lbs||$ - check here|
|Micro Kickboard - Luggage Eazy||18 months+||23" x 15.5" x 9.5"||8 lbs||$$$ - Check here|
|ZincFlyte Kids Luggage Scooter||4 to 8 years old||21" x 11" x 20"||7.58 lbs||$$ - check here|
|Kiddietotes Hardshell Carry-On Scooter Suitcase||Ages 4+ (110 lbs limit)||13.5" x 8" x 19.5"||7.7 lbs||$$$ - check here|
|Mountain Buggy Skyrider||Up to 15kg/33lbs||23.7" x 16" x 11.6"||7.83 lbs||$$$ - Check here|
|Lugabug Travel Seat||Up to 22.6kg/50lbs||13.5” x 13" x 1.5"||19 oz||$ - check here|
- $ = under $50 USD
- $$ = $50 to $100 USD
- $$$ = over $100 USD
What To Look For In Kids’ Ride-On Luggage
Before we dive into the detail, let’s take a look at the different types of kids’ luggage:
Ride-On Luggage vs Backpacks or Rolling Luggage
Some of you might be questioning what makes children ride on luggage better than a small backpack or child-size rolling luggage. Both are excellent alternatives for kids who are ready to take their own luggage, and we have also used them regularly on several family trips.
Here is when I would recommend ride-on luggage:
- You are flying with multiple young children, and there are several layovers where it’s likely you’ll be walking for extended periods of time
- You’re travelling overseas and will be navigating multiple flights and modes of transport
- You’ll be doing a lot of walking where you’re traveling and need a way to hold supplies/extra clothes/snacks/entertainment
- When you have space to store a hard suitcase at your destination (when we fly & drive trunk space at the other end can be very limited)
Different Types of Ride-On Luggage
There are several different models of kids’ ride-on / carry-on luggage on the market today, and the ones that are best suited for a wide age range are ride on suitcases and scooter luggage.
Ride-On Luggage: For this style, toddlers and older children sit on top and use their legs to scoot along. A clasp holds the luggage closed, and most have luggage straps so that it can be pulled when not being ridden on.
Scooter Luggage: Better suited for older children, kids’ scooter luggage has a suitcase attachment in the front under the handlebars and allows your child to kick around the airport terminal or sidewalk with minimal effort. The base folds up for easy storage – we cover this type of luggage in much more detail here.
Fold out seats: This is when the luggage comes with a fold-out seat option as part of the actual suitcase, ideal for toddlers/early walkers.
Essential Safety Features of Kids Ride-On Luggage
Regardless of the type of kids ride on luggage you go with, you’ll want to make sure they have a few essential features:
Sturdy, Tip-Proof Construction: You’ll want to choose children’s ride on luggage with a sturdy wheel base and a tip-proof frame to avoid unnecessary and potentially dangerous spills.
Durable Luggage Material: Choosing a kids ride on-suitcase with a hard outer shell or durable, stain-resistant material is essential due to the roughness of travel as well as those inevitable times when your child runs into the ticket counter.
Strong Luggage Clasp: The last thing you want to experience while traveling is your child’s suitcase coming apart and toys, clothes, and snacks flying everywhere. Make sure you choose ride-on luggage with a strong and secure latch to keep everything where it needs to be.
Multiple Transportation Methods: Most ride-on luggage comes with carrying straps plus a detachable pull strap in the event you’ll need to store the suitcase or pull a tired toddler, but it’s best to check and see if these are included in the design.
Best Kids Ride-On Luggage
Best Overall Suitcase for Toddlers: Wangbaochang Kids Trolley Suitcase
Why We Love It: This Wangbaochang Suitcase has a unique design that makes it the perfect kiddy ride on luggage for any traveling situation where you’ll be walking or on your feet for long periods of time. Unlike other wheeled suitcases, the Wangbaochang suitcase has a curved pony design that is a more secure position for small children.
A feature this kid’s rolling luggage has that other ride-on suitcases lack is a belt to secure your tot while they’re riding on it. The curved design allows the child to hug the body of the luggage with their knees essentially and has built-in footrests to prevent dragging feet. It now comes in 2 sizes, great for older kids too 24″ (though just watch any cabin size restrictions if upsizing).
This kid’s ride-on luggage has universal swivel wheels for easy manoeuvrability and a sturdy aluminium alloy handle for added stability. Added safety features like a custom code lock set this ride-on luggage for toddlers apart from the rest, earning its position as the best ride-on suitcase.
- Age Range: 2-12 years old
- Dimensions: 22.05 x 12.2 x 23.62 inches
- Weight: 8.82 lbs
- 360-degree spinner wheels offer easy manoeuvrability
- Unique design is well-suited for toddler-sized riders
- Safety belt securely fastens child onto luggage
- Lightweight, durable and wear-resistant outer shell
- Available in several bright colors and designs
- 24” size may be too big for some commercial airlines to stow as a carryon
- Older children may find it too small
- Price point is higher and may not be affordable for every family
Most Innovative Ride On Suitcase For Kids: Jetkids by Stokke Kids Suitcase and Portable Bed
Why We Love It: The Jetkids by Stokke Kids Suitcase and Portable Bed is a must-have for families who travel long distances multiple times a year or for anyone planning an overseas trip with smaller children. This kid’s ride-on luggage has an included mattress that folds out to turn any economy plane seat into a bed and allows little one to curl up for a probably much-deserved snooze.
The Jetkids by Stokke Kids Suitcase has a sleek, stylish design in several pastel colors. It offers shock-absorbing front wheels for when your child needs a break from walking and can also be carried by a shoulder strap or pulled along.
What really sets this kid’s ride-on suitcase apart from the rest is the pullout mattress that allows you to create a bed for you bub on over 40 commercial airlines as well as trains and ferries. The mattress and side panels keep your little one secure and still allow them to be buckled in, whether sitting up or lying down – we have a full review of the Jet Kids Bed in use here.
- Age Range: 3-7 years old
- Dimensions: 18 x 14 x 8 inches
- Weight: 8.18 lbs
- Universal size and fits most standard economy seats
- Sleek, stable design
- Shock-absorbing swivel front wheels for easy manoeuvrability
- Pullout Bed Box, mattress, and side panels
- Unique design provides extra storage
- Two sheets of decorative stickers included
- Adjustable strap is hard to keep from dragging on the ground
- Older children might be too large to comfortably sleep in bed
- Top heavy and can be cumbersome when traveling with other luggage in tow
- With a mattress inside, there isn’t much leftover space
This is a similar though lesser-known rolling suitcase that also converts into a sleeping device for the plane.
The ANIMOR Kids Travel Partner has a 20L capacity and can serve as a leg rest when the lid is turned over. The front swivel wheel makes the case easy to pull, and there’s plenty of space for your tiny traveler to bring their favorite items along.
Best Toddler Ride-On Suitcase: Trunki Original Kids Ride-On Suitcase and Carry-On Luggage
Why We Love It: The Trunki Ride-On Suitcase has built a reputation for quality and reliability, and your bub can use this from toddlerhood through elementary age. It has a simple, sturdy design with many colorful, vibrant designs and favorite characters to suit almost any child’s individual taste.
The Trunki suitcase has a hard, lightweight outer shell that can be securely closed with a patented all-plastic catch. A comfortable saddle is built into the top, along with a top handle for added safety while your toddler is scooting around. A multifunction strap allows you to pull your little one or pick the entire Trunki up and sprint to your next gate if necessary.
The Trunki children’s ride-on luggage also has generous room for storage and soft rubber lining around the edges to prevent little fingers from getting pinched. An internal pocket keeps smaller toys and other items from rolling loosely around, and elastic straps work well to secure a stuffed animal or three. It is the best luggage for a smaller child that is ready to move independently.
- Age Range: 3+ years
- Dimensions: 22.05 x 12.2 x 23.62 inches
- Weight: 8.82 lbs
- Sturdy construction from high=quality materials
- Multi-function strap doubles as tow leash
- Easily stowable in airplane cabin
- Works well for toddlers as well as older children
- Patented secure latch feature
- Locks can be difficult to open
- Tow strap is too short for taller adults to pull comfortably
- Inside straps don’t hold contents as securely as some customers would have liked them to
For Toddlers, Also Consider A Suitcase With Seat: Micro Kickboard – Luggage Eazy – Foldable and Ride-able Swiss-Designed Luggage
From the makers of Micro scooters, this innovative folding suitcase with a metal stand and fold-out seat can be used from as young as 18 months. It is designed for a parent to pull the child along, rather than for a child to use it independently.
It’s a good option for when you simply do not have enough hands and don’t want the inconvenience of an extra stroller, but your toddler still cannot walk far independently. This is the best carry-on luggage for families that like to travel light.
Best for Older Kids – Scooter Luggage: ZincFlyte Kids Luggage Scooter
Why We Love It: While the idea of ride-on luggage seems like a wonderful solution for younger kids, older kids may not be so kosher with the idea of scooting around the terminal. They need something, you know, more mature and refined. Enter the ZincFlyte Kids Luggage Scooter.
Kids scooter luggage is one of the best options for older kids because they may not necessarily need as many breaks as younger children, and their legs may be too long for riding on a more traditionally designed piece of ride-on luggage.
The ZincFlyte Kids Luggage Scooter has a generous storage compartment on the front and is the perfect size for stowing in an overhead bin. The luggage case itself is durable and impact-resistant and comes in several different fun designs.
In terms of safety features, this kids scooter luggage has a secondary lock system for the handlebar, a stable steering system, and both luggage case and deck are securely integrated. Everything folds up for easy storage and back down again for your ever-active child.
- Age Range: 4-8 years old
- Dimensions: 21.25 x 11.02 x 20 inches
- Weight: 7.58 lbs
- Lightweight and can be easily folded up and stored
- Durable, impact-resistant construction
- Generous weight limit up to 100lbs
- Available in multiple designs and colors
- Provides an energy outlet for active kids while traveling
- Some buyers experienced issues with zipper quality
- Too small for children older than 4 years old
Worth a Second Look: Kiddietotes Hardshell Carry-on Scooter Suitcase – Light Up LED Wheels
Kiddietotes is another reliable alternative when it comes to scooter luggage for kids. Many of their fun designs come with a matching backpack, perfect for your next family vacation.
We love the retractable handle so works well with kids at different heights, from ages 5 and up. It has a slip-proof standing deck and the hard shell case has a spacious interior, perfect for kids ready to handle their own luggage.
Seat attachments for your luggage to make it a ride-on
A slightly different class of luggage solution again when you’re travelling with small kids. These are add-on products that you can clip and secure to your existing luggage to make a handy seat for your kids.
The Mountain Buggy Skyrider comes with its own customised carry-on suitcase and can hold a child up to 15kg/33lbs with a padded seat cushion.
Meanwhile, the Lugabug is designed to fit over any luggage with a hammock design and can accommodate a child up to 22.6kg/50lbs
Ride-on luggage really has revolutionized the experience of traveling with children, and it has made many situations easier to endure for everyone involved. We hope that after reading this article, you will be able to choose a ride-on suitcase your child will love for years to come.
Want more great travel gear reviews for your kids?
We have been travelling the world with our kids for over a decade now and picked up plenty of travel gear knowledge along our hours in the skies, on the road, on boats, trains – you name it! You may also enjoy learning more about:
- Best travel backpacks for kids – when a backpack may be more appropriate for your family adventures, here are the features we look for from tot to tweens
- The best travel toys for all age groups – from babies to primary school-aged children, what should you pack for travel?
- Best Kids Travel Pillows – getting cosy on the move, how to support your child’s head in their car seat or on long flights.
- Are kids sleeping devices for the plane really worth it? – we’ve reviewed several different styles of plane beds and airplane pillows, are they really worth investing in for better long-haul flights with your kids? We look at exactly how they work and which airlines allow them.
- Best Toddler Carriers – still find it easier to carry your tots than pull them along? Especially in some busy cities and transit hubs, we found it easier to wear our toddlers still – here are our top picks for older kids.
Found this helpful? Bookmark this for later or save it to Pinterest
© Our Globetrotters