Are you a nature enthusiast wondering which are the best tents for camping?
Breathing in the fresh country air, roasting marshmallows on an open flame, and falling asleep to the gentle pitter-patter of rain on your tent – what better way to spend quality time with your loved ones? You’ve chosen the location and convinced the kids that it’ll be fun, now it’s time to ask yourself: what are the best tents for family camping?
Considerations Choosing Family Tents
With so many options out there, how do you find the perfect tent to make sure you have the best camping experience possible? Here are some things to consider:
Outline your budget
Although camping is a relatively budget way to holiday, taking the whole family on a camping trip doesn’t come for free. The price of tents varies depending on size, manufacturer, quality, and extra features. Know how much you want to spend, and do a comparison of the latest tents to find a great deal without compromising on quality and comfort. We looked to bestbudget for advice on the latest low-cost options but still great quality.
Decide which size tent will provide the most comfort
If you want the family to have the best camping experience possible, you’ll need to ensure they’re comfortable and don’t feel cramped, hot, and bothered. Think about the size and age of the people joining you, and go from there. Remember, you’ll need plenty of space to store bags and outdoor gear as well, and you can’t always count on the weather!
Obviously you’ll need a tent that can withstand bad weather conditions and has good ventilation during hot weather. Examine the quality features carefully, and be sure to choose something that will be with you and your family for years to come.
Top 3 Camping Tents for the Family
Coleman Sundome Tent (6 Person)
There are plenty of cheap tent options out there, but what is the best tent for the money? The Coleman Sundome Tent is a strong contender.
Available in 2-6 person versions, this tent features a weatherproof exterior that’s designed to withstand 35mph winds and includes a rain fly. The tub floor has patented corner welds, and the entire tent has protected seams to ensure you stay dry all the time. The six-person version is a great choice for short family getaways or festival trips.
- Weather-proof and durable
- Good quality with an affordable price tag
- Heavily-sloped walls mean this tent lacks the livability and roominess of more expensive options and is realistically uncomfortable for six people
- Loses heat in colder climates due to the mesh sliding
Coleman Tent for Camping (8 person)
Measuring 170 square feet with 6-foot center height inside; if you’re looking for an instant cabin of sorts then this camping tent is one of the best! The Coleman 8-person tent offers lots of interior space and high-quality performance for a memorable outdoor experience.
This tent features a welded floor inside the tent and thick waterproof walls for optimal weather protection. It’s easy to set up and pack away with separate bags included for tent, poles, and stakes, making it the ideal home away from home for entry-level campers.
- Spacious and well-ventilated making it the ideal family tent
- Easy setup with included room dividers
- Weighing 42 pounds it’s a bit on the heavy side
- Although it’s marketing as an 8-person tent, 8 adults would be uncomfortable
HIKERGARDEN Camping Tent (10 person)
If you’re going camping somewhere with unpredictable weather, then you’re probably wondering: what is the top options when choosing a waterproof camping tent? This one’s guaranteed to keep you dry, even if the weather turns on you. Remember though, a pack of cards is a must!
The HIKERGARDEN camping tent features a roomy interior with enough space for 10 people and a durable exterior to ensure you stay dry and warm during your trip. It offers instant tent setup, and takes just 9 minutes to build your new outdoor home!
Made with thick and sturdy fabric, it has long nails at the corners to ensure it’s still fully standing when you return to base camp after a day of exploring. The mesh front door and windows allow for plenty of ventilation and feature 2-way smooth & sturdy zippers, so they don’t get stuck.
- Plenty of space for 10 adults to sleep comfortably, e-port inside
- Wind and waterproof exterior keeps you dry and comfortable
- The large interior would benefit from having two doors for easier access
- Small storage bags make it difficult to pack away
While you’re here, you may also want to check out:
- The ultimate guide to camping on sand
- A survival guide for camping with toddlers
- How to hike with toddlers – and make it fun!
- Essential gear for kids who love camping & outdoor adventures
- Best outdoor hammocks for kids
- Best pop up beach tents for families