Defending your family against mosquitos without harmful chemicals
Nothing can ruin your family trip in the great outdoors more than mosquitos. Mosquitos seem tend to pick their favorite people and if you’re anything like me, you’re the sacrificial fodder. Many many children also seem to fall foul of that delicious allure for these winging nemaces!
No more! We’ve been looking for ways to combat our mosquito problems for good.
At home, we have put in place many efficient mosquito-repelling techniques and planted suitable moquito repelling plants, but once we leave home and the kids are running about, we’ve had to invest in some new defence systems.
We’ve tried all sorts of sprays and wipes but by far we’ve found with our children (especially our oldest who has very senesitve skin) mosquito repellent patches are the most effective, cost-efficient and inoffensive method of dealing with our mosquito problem.
This post is part of our best travel products series and outdoor adventures with kids
Different Types of Mosquito Repellents
When it comes to children, choosing a mosquito repellent can be a daunting job. You have to be careful about the kind of chemicals used in the product and how your child might feel about using it. Let’s take a quick look at the different types of mosquito repellents:
- DEET Repellents – These come in various forms and can keep away different insects for hours. But they have an odor – and a high-percentage DEET products are not for kids.
- Picaridin Repellents – These are non-greasy and harmless for the skin. They can be applied to clothes, too, however, there are not enough studies to talk about its long-term effects.
- IR-3535 Repellents – These repellents contain IR-3535 which is considered safe for infants and pregnant women. It effectively keeps away mosquitoes without killing them.
- Permethrin Repellents – These repellents are not designed to be used on the skin. But you can put them on clothes to help keep away different insects, including mosquitoes.
- Repellents with Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus – These have a synthetic form of extracts from eucalyptus. Though natural, these haven’t been tested on kids under 3 years.
- Natural Repellents – These repellents have natural ingredients like citronella, garlic, peppermint, basil, etc. They are much milder for the skin and free from chemicals.
- Clip-On Fans – These repellents are attached to the waistband, and they help spread metofluthrin all around to keep mosquitoes away. It prevents chemical use on the skin.
- Wristband/Waistband Repellents – These bands prevent slathering chemical-rich repellents. They use natural plant oils but may fail to offer full-body protection.
- Patch Repellents – These repellents are used like stickers used on clothes, bags, strollers, etc. They contain natural and safe ingredients that keep mosquitoes away.
What to Look for in Good Kids Mosquito Repellents
When you go hunting for mosquito repellents, you’ll find plenty of different products and devices – knowing which is best for kids sensitive skin though, and which are really worth paying a little more for to keep them protected is the challenge. From sprays to creams, from high-quality smoke-emitting coils to the best mosquito repellent devices – here are the features you should be looking for to find the best type for your family’s needs:
Topical mosquito repellents come in the form of liquid, cream, aerosol, etc. You can apply some of them directly to your child’s skin. Or, you can spray them or put a few drops on clothes. Then there are mosquito repellent patches for clothes. Wrist- or waistbands also come with repellent oil, though some waistbands have fans that spread metofluthrin.
Most insect repellents, such as mosquito repellent stickers, sprays, creams, etc., are easy to carry around wherever you take your child. These wearable repellents stay active wherever your child goes – great if they’ll be running around not sitting in one spot. Some repellents like sonic devices or coils cannot always be used everywhere.
As a parent, you have to consider if the product or its mechanism can cause harm or discomfort to your child. Smoke emitted from coils is not only bad for the lungs but is also carcinogenic. Don’t forget to check if the ingredients and the potency of wearable repellents can keep your child safe from insects that can cause fever, malaria, dengue, etc.
Many ingredients are not safe for children because of their strong chemical content. While many other components are safe, they should only be applied in lower potency levels when it comes to kids. Also, don’t always jump towards natural ingredients because their effects might not have been studied properly, especially on young children.
An essential feature to consider while choosing a mosquito repellent is the smell. Most topicals give off an odor that everyone hates, and your kid might refuse to use the product. Highly potent chemical-infused products are particularly strong in their smell. But natural ingredients often give off a milder, sweeter aroma.
Wearable mosquito repellents have different consistency levels. Some are liquid and spread easily, while others are more sticky and thick. You can expect a hard time with your kid if you try to give them the greasy ones. Children are likely to feel sweaty. So, for repellents to be applied to the skin, pick liquid ones – or go for patches for clothes.
Best Mosquito Repelling Patches
All things considered, one of the ideal options to keep your kid away from mosquitoes or other bugs would be mosquito stickers or patches. These are mostly mild, odor-free, and usable on clothes instead of skin application. So let’s take a more detailed look at different mosquito repellent patches for kids
|Mosquito Guard Repellent Stickers
|Citronella, Lemongrass, peppermint, Geraniol
|RiptGear Mosquito Patch Stickers for Kids
|Buggy Bands Mosquito Repellent Patches
|Bug Band Mosquito Stickers
|Geranium, Lemongrass, Citronella
|RiptGear Square Orange Mosquito Patch
|BuggyBands Baby Yoda Mosquito Stickers
|Square Character Stickers
|BuggyBands Animal-Shaped Mosquito Patches
|Square Character Stickers
|Lemongrass, geraniol, citronella
Are you looking for mosquito repellent patches for your child that will keep the little one safe and free from discomfort? Try Mosquito Guard Repellent Stickers. These patches for kids come in packs of 60 mosquito repellent stickers that you can put on the clothes or the skin of your kid.
What we love about Mosquito Guard Repellent Sticks
- Plant-based ingredients that are safe and sweet-smelling
- Contains essential oils of lemongrass, rosemary, peppermint, and citronella
- Free from DEET, which means the patches are free from odors and chemicals
- Ideal for trips to remote areas, especially for camping trips in woods and hills
- Can be used on the skin or the clothes by both adults and children
Is your kid going to summer camp or planning a sleepover in a tent in your backyard? Mosquitoes can always be a menace! The perfect way of keeping your child safe from insects is the RiptGear Mosquito Patch Stickers. Each pack has 78 patch stickers that are free from DEET.
What we love about RiptGear Mosquito Patch Stickers for Kids
- Applied to clothes, tents, hats, strollers, etc., to keep the skin safe
- Infused with citronella oil, a natural ingredient that keeps away bugs
- Comes in a pack that’s resealable to keep fresh patches safe
- Ideal for camping trips, hikes, etc. for both adults and children
- Comes with an adhesive that makes patches easy to stick and peel off
Mosquitoes and insects everywhere can cause harmful ailments. Kids are vulnerable and need protection with the help of an effective patch mosquito repellent like the Cliganic Mosquito Repellent Patches. From the park to a camping ground, these 90 patches are great!
What we love about Cliganic Mosquito Repellent Patches:
- Natural, DEET-free matches infused with citronella oil
- Can be useful for both adults and kids
- Designed for clothes, tents, backpacks, etc., to keep the skin safe
- 72 hours of protection from every single patch in the pack
- Ideal for outdoor use and perfect for all weather conditions
Bug Band Mosquito Stickers is an excellent mosquito patch for kids and adults. For outdoorsy kids, this mosquito sticker can keep away bugs so that your child is completely safe. This product comes in packs of 120 patches so that you don’t have to keep refilling your stock.
What we love about Bug Band Mosquito Stickers:
- Natural ingredients, with essential oils of lemongrass, geraniol, and citronella
- Long-lasting effects to provide protection against insects for 24 hours
- Comes in a resealable pack to preserve the effectiveness of unused patches
- Ideal for application on clothes, bags, or even chairs and tables
- Ideal mosquito repellent patch for both indoor and outdoor use
Sometimes, getting children to do something that’s healthy for them can be tricky – like wearing a patch with a foreign smell. RiptGear Square Orange Mosquito Patch can come to your rescue because of its bright and attractive color. Each pack contains 78 patch stickers for children.
What we love about RiptGear Square Orange Mosquito Patches:
- Excellent product for outdoor use, from patio to camping trips
- Infused with natural citronella oil with no DEET
- Attractive orange color that’s attractive for children
- Comes in a saleable pack to protect unused patches
- Formulated with a high-quality adhesive that sticks to anything
Step away from the boring mosquito repellent stickers because BuggyBands has a stunning bug repellent patch that looks like Baby Yoda! BuggyBands Baby Yoda Mosquito Stickers are fun to look at, so your kid will never say no to it. It comes in a pack of 120 patches.
What we love about BuggyBands Baby Yoda Mosquito Stickers:
- Attractive Baby Yoda design for stickers that every kid will love
- Infused with all-natural ingredients like citronella oil and no DEET
- Perfect for clothes, strollers, backpacks, chairs, and more
- Ideal adults who are not afraid to show off the child within
- Long-lasting protection, with 72 hours of effectivity
Kids love colors, animals, and variety – and that’s what BuggyBands Animal-Shaped Mosquito Patches can provide. This cartoon-shaped patch mosquito repellent can be highly effective in keeping all insects away from your child, whether they are playing in the field or out on a trip.
What we love about BuggyBands Animal-shaped Mosquito Patches:
- Wide variety of colorful, animal-shaped patches
- Contains natural lemongrass oil, geraniol oil, and citronella oil
- 24 hours of protection from each bug repellent patch
- Excellent product for all kinds of outdoor use in every weather
- Comes in a pack of stickers and mosquito-repellent bands
Mosquito Bands and Bracelets
If you’d still prefer not to apply mosquito repellent directly on your child’s skin, another effective alternative that moves with your child is a mosquito repellent band that can be worn around a wrist or ankle. Not as effective with very young children who still like to put everything in their mouth, but certainly worth a try with your older kids.
We’ve previously used Para’Kito with success, though we do find they don’t last a full 15 days and the refills can be pricey. We are testing a couple more new brands this summer, so will report back to you soon with our favourite bracelet and band mosquito repellent products.
More ways to keep your kids happy & safe outdoors
We have a great range of advice and product guides perfect for keeping your kids safe and happy playing outside in the great outdoors. Why not also check out:
- The best gift ideas for outdoorsy kids – includes fun & essential gear kids will want on a camping trip
- Essential Camping Gear for a Baby – all the items we couldn’t live without when camping with our babies
- Toddler Hiking Tips – top tips for taking little ones hiking; what gear to pack and how to keep them motivated on short trails and longer hikes
- Best Aqua Shoes for Kids – keeping little feet protected, our top slection of beach and aqua shoes designed for your active outdoor child
- Family First Aid Kit – what we always pack for safety and hygience travelling with our kids
Helpful? Bookmark this page or save it to Pinterest for later
Disclosures: We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
© Our Globetrotters | Feature Images CanvaPro