Choosing what to wear when you visit Disney Parks is a big decision. If your family is anything like mine (and many other families I know), you want to choose apparel that shows you’re excited about your trip, celebrates your favourite Disney Characters, and is, well, simply put… cute!
While choosing a cute outfit is important, it may not be the most important detail when it comes to choosing your outfits to wear to Disney.
I know what you’re probably thinking, how difficult can it possibly be to pick an outfit to wear to Disney? While it is not difficult per se, it may be more complicated than you may think. Don’t worry; we’re going to cover everything you need to know about choosing the perfect Disney World outfit that will keep you fashionable, comfortable, and fitting the Disney theme!
- Why is Your Disney Outfit So Important?
- Disney Clothing Ideas for the Whole Family
- Where You Can Find Disney-Themed Clothing and Accessories
- Clothing for Disney’s Special Events
- Adapting Your Clothing Through The Seasons
- Other Essentials to Pack in Your Disney Parks Bag
- More Disney Vacation Planning Tips
This post is part of our Disney advice series & Discover Florida
Why is Your Disney Outfit So Important?
First thing first, let’s explain just why your decision for what to wear to Disney parks is so important.
While you may want to go for cute, you’ll want to keep in mind comfort and functionality. Trust me, I know the cute outfits and shoes really catch your eye, and they are the first thing you want to grab, but when you are spending all day long walking around a theme park in the hot Orlando sun, you will thank yourself for going for the more comfortable option.
I always recommend a comfortable shoe option for theme parks, such as broken-in athletic shoes, memory foam or therapeutic flats or sandals, and versatile/comfortable clothing choices, including breathable and stretch fabrics, lightweight jackets, and loose-fitting clothing.
You can check out over here why picking cute and fashionable over comfort is one of the top rookie mistakes Disney newbies make
Disney Clothing Ideas for the Whole Family
Men: When it comes to outfit choices for men, I always say that shorts or jeans paired with a t-shirt and sweatshirt or light jacket are always good go-to. Most men are pretty simple and laid back when it comes to choosing their outfits. Lucky them! LOL
Women: For women, there are a few popular choices that cater to both fashion and comfort. If you are comfortable in jeans or jean shorts, go for it, but I always find that leggings or a long, loose-fitting dress are a great choice. When it comes to picking dresses, keep in mind that you may want to choose something longer to avoid the wind blowing up your dress and keeping it comfortable.
Pair your bottoms with a tank top or t-shirt, and I always like to bring a sweatshirt or lightweight jacket that I can tie around my waist in the event that I need it.
Kids: When it comes to dressing kids, especially those that can’t dress themselves, I always say that stretchy athletic shorts or leggings are the best options for kids. This keeps them comfortable and able to run around the park and enjoy themselves without frilly clothing and accessories to be worried about.
Again, I always say a lightweight jacket of some sort is great to have on hand either in your Disney park backpack or perhaps tied around their waists as well.
Where You Can Find Disney-Themed Clothing and Accessories
When it comes to planning your Disney trip, you probably want to grab some Disney merchandise before you get to the parks. Not only will you save a ton of money by not purchasing clothing within the parks, but it’s also just more convenient to already be dressed and ready to go in your Disney attire when you arrive for the day.
The possibilities for finding Disney merchandise before your trip are endless. If you visit any major department store such as JCPenney or Kohl’s or even your favourite general merchandise retailer such as Target or Walmart, you are bound to find some Disney clothing and accessories. These are great options for general Disney-themed items.
Another great place to look for Disney apparel or dress-up items includes the Disney store. You can shop online or find a local store in your area (Physical Disney Store locations are few and far between these days but they do still exist, find one near you at stores.shopdisney.com).
If you are looking for something a bit more personalized, or perhaps you want to get matching apparel for the whole family, you will want to be on the lookout for your favourite small business, such as Etsy or Facebook Marketplace.
Another option that I have found a lot of people don’t know about is going to straight to the source. Did you know that you can purchase custom Disney apparel online from the Disney shop? You may create your own personalized merchandise at shopdisney.com/personalization/.
Clothing for Disney’s Special Events
Every year Disney hosts a few special events that may lead to you choosing something a little different than what you may pick for your average park day. Some of these special events include Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
For these events, you may be looking for something a little different such as a Halloween party costume or perhaps an over-the-top Christmas Sweater for the Very Merry Christmas Party. Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is one of the few times that they allow adults to wear costumes, so it is fun to take advantage of the opportunity.
There are a few guidelines that must be followed when you make your costume choice, and they are as follows:
- Guests under the age of 13 years old may wear full costumes, including costume masks however masks must be well-fitting and allow the child to see from all angles as well as their eyes being visible to those around them.
- As far as guests over the age of 13 and adults, you are free to wear costumes, but costumes must not include masks or weaponry and must be family-friendly (no offensive costumes or costumes that may be considered violent). One other very important rule is that as an adult, if you choose to dress up as a Disney character, you must not pose as a cast member, meaning you may not sign autographs or take pictures with guests.
Adapting Your Clothing Through The Seasons
Because Disney World is in Orlando, Florida, the weather is generally warm all year round, but as with any area, there are changes in the temperature and weather conditions depending upon the season.
For example, in the summer, temperatures and humidity are up high, and you will want to make sure to wear lightweight and comfortable clothing – cottons and linens can be more comfortable than polyester.
Comparatively, in the winter season at Disney, it may still be warm compared to, say, the northern states but trust me, it is still pretty chilly, particularly at night. You will want to make sure you have a light jacket to keep you warm.
No matter the time of year, I will tell you Orlando is known for pop-up rain showers, and I always like to be prepared for those. That is why I always keep a rain poncho and compact umbrella in my bag to make sure I stay warm and dry; nobody wants a little rain to ruin their Disney day!
Other Essentials to Pack in Your Disney Parks Bag
When it comes to packing for a Disney trip, clothing isn’t the only thing you should be concerned about! Here are a few additional essentials we always recommend packing in your park bag:
- Basic First Aid (I always bring a few alcohol swabs and band-aids; there is first aid available in the park, but if you encounter a minor scrape or cut, or simply a headache, I find it’s easier to just handle it on my own than finding a first aid station)
- Water Bottle (drinks in the park can be expensive, and if you are one that will be drinking water anyway, bring a refillable water bottle to fill up at any beverage station for free)
- Portable Charger
- Park Map (can be accessed on the My Disney Experience App, but I am one that always likes to have a physical map so I can mark up and plan out my day on the map)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Autograph Book & Pens
- Portable Fan
- A good supply of snacks!
When it comes to dressing for Disney parks, I always prioritize comfort over fashion because it just makes the most sense. There are many great options to find cute and comfortable outfit choices that cater to your needs.
Walking around family theme parks, particularly in hot temperatures, can be exhausting and draining, so staying comfortable is key to surviving the day.
If you have any additional tips or recommendations for what to wear at Disney World, feel free to share them with us. We are always on the lookout for more ideas!
More Disney Vacation Planning Tips
We have a great selection of family travel articles to help you plan the perfect trip to Disney. Next up, you may want to check out:
- All the best theme parks to visit in Orlando
- The Best Disney Parks For Toddlers
- Picking the Best Disney Parks and Rides For Teens and Tweens
- More to enjoy around Orlando with teenagers
- Non-theme park day activity ideas in and around Orlando
- Disney stroller rules and the best types of stroller for a Disney vacation
- Car parking tips for Disney World
- Hotels that offer a shuttle service to Disney World and Universal Orlando
Helpful? Bookmark this page or save it to Pinterest for later
© Our Globetrotters | Feature Images CanvaPro